Saturday, March 13, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom

Yesterday (March 13) was my mom's Birthday.  I called her today because of the time difference, and even though she was sick and it was midnight in Oregon, she still answered the phone and made a little time in the last bit of her birthday to accept my wishes graciously.
Some of you have the great privilege of knowing my mom personally.  Others only know her through me and my many stories about her.  For the latter, the one comment I always get is, "Your mom sounds so cool!" or "Boy, your mom sure sounds like a character."
My mom and me in a relatively normal moment.

Yes, it's true.  My mom is absolutely nuts, and that is why we love her.  My mom, who dances in the living room with my dad for no apparent reason.  My mother, who sings Patsy Cline at the top of her lungs during long road trips despite the rest of the family begging her to stop.  The source of my own sense of crazy and my piercing laugh.  If I say some key phrases, our family will be able to conjur some amazing stories about my mom.  For example: backing out of the garage, leftover whiskey shot, Zumba fitness, Mountain Mama, and the list goes on.
Being on the other side of the world makes it a little difficult to celebrate with her, but we always have a great time when we are together to make up for these sad lost moments.
So here you go, Ma.  It's not much, but I dedicate this little number to you.  Patsy Cline's voice may sound sweeter than your's does on our home karaoke machine, but she still doesn't hold a candle to you.  I love you!

3 comments:

  1. i hope yer mom read this post. it was really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace,
    Thank you for your lovely present.
    Yes, I guess I am crazy, because I am still crazy about CRAZY!
    Keep on writing--I just love reading your blog.
    I am your biggest fan.
    And I am still crazy about your dad too!

    P.S. I am using your dad's Google account - that's why it says "JK says".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ma, I think some of Dad's corny humor is rubbing off on you!

    ReplyDelete