Monday, April 19, 2010

Conversations with my dad

My dad is one in a million.  I woke up today for some ungodly reason at 5:30 AM.  I made it a point to be productive and catch up with folks back home since we rarely beat the time difference and find good times to chat.  For a little background, my dad is a HUGE Karaoke fanatic.  People think I'm kidding when I talk about how family events go in my house, but the formula goes something like: Dinner, Dessert, Drinks, Karaoke, Drinks, Karaoke, Fall asleep on couch.  My dad must have a thing for obnoxious songs, because his signature karaoke number is "My Way," made famous by Frank Sinatra and broken-English speakers all over the world.  Here's a tidbit from a conversation I had over Gchat with my pops.  Gotta love that slight hint of Konglish in the conversation, too.

James: :)
  Did you hear about "My Way" is banned from karaoke shops in Philppines?
 me: Because everyone wants to sing it?
7:51 AM James: No, they were fighting - each claiming that they sang better than the other guy
  there were too many fights
  can you imagine??!!!
7:53 AM me: Maybe you should go and sing it so you can settle all the fights
 James: that's a great idea - why didn't I think of that!!!! :)
 me: They'll all say, "Remember when that Korean guy came? There's no comparison. We shouldn't even try."
 James: you are funny!
7:57 AM me: That is so funny, though.
  Leave it up to Asians to get all emotional about their karaoke.
7:58 AM James: I think their way of living seem more humane than the americans live their lives - americans are all about working, but others enjoy their lives a bit better like fighting about who sang the song better.
  who has time for something like that in America?    Yes, Pops.  Life would be better if we just took work a little less seriously and regarded karaoke with the respect it deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment