Thursday, March 3, 2011

Friends in High Places

I don't usually do much writing on music on my blog because it's often such a personal thing.  But sometimes, something so good comes along that you must share it.  This time, it's even more "so good" because the pianist/vocalist for this group is a friend of mine from my university days!

Aura was awesome back then, owning it in the world of Santa Cruz ethnic music, classical piano, and then singing her heart out to top all of it off.  Plus composing, and being generally a lovely person to be around and swap stories with.

She's now in a band called The Horde and the Harem.  I love their music.  I'm a huge sucker for harmonies, and they nail it-- balancing their female and male vocals delicately over upbeat, indie-rock instrumentals.  Their slower songs will melt your heart.

Lucky for all of you who reside in my native American West, they're on tour, as well!  Be sure to check 'em out if you live in Portland, San Francisco, or Los Angeles.



Thanks supermarioz for the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment